The human body contains millions of hair follicles, or small sacs, that line the skin.Hair follicles contain pigment cells that contain melanin, these pigment cells are present in the hair, eyes and face, and they are the ones that change the color of hair, and the Milano genetic clock participates in the aging process, and as a person ages, he loses his hair color and turns gray.
Common causes of white hair
- Deficiency of vitamins (B-6, B-12, biotin, vitamin D, or vitamin E) can lead to prematurely turning white hair. 2015 studies in the Journal of Development indicate that deficiency of vitamin D3, vitamin B12, and copper affects pigmentation. Vitamin B12 deficiency is associated with a condition called pernicious anemia, which is when the body cannot absorb enough of this vitamin. The body needs vitamin B12 for healthy red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the body’s cells, including hair cells. Deficiency can weaken hair cells and affect melanin production.
Another 2016 study published in the International Journal of Factors related to premature graying of young Indians under the age of 25. It was found that lower levels of ferritin, which stores iron in the body, vitamin B12, and good cholesterol were found in participants with early graying of hair.
- White hair may appear in the twenties as a result of copper deficiency in the body, because copper is an important mineral for the production of the pigment melanin, which is responsible for hair color.
- One of the causes of gray hair is a lack of biotin or inositol. The microbiome in the intestine helps to produce biotin, and when these bacteria are reduced due to taking an antibiotic or any other reason, the production of this important vitamin for hair decreases.
- Protein (keratin), keratin affects the health of hair in general, and it is a type of protein found on surface cells. When the keratin protein breaks down in the hair follicle, it can lead to hair loss and pigmentation change.
- Smoking can lead to premature graying. A study published in the Italian Journal in 2013 showed that smokers are two and a half times more likely to have premature graying before thirty than non-smokers. Another 2015 study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology found that smoking was linked to the appearance of white hair in young adults. Because smoking causes blood vessels to narrow, which reduces blood flow to hair follicles and causes hair loss. In addition, the toxins in cigarettes can damage body parts including hair follicles, causing premature white hair to appear.
- Genetics plays an important role in the emergence of premature graying in children due to genetic transmission from parents, according to a report in the Indian Journal issued in 2013. Race also plays a role, according to the same study in 2013, it was found that white people have gray hair at the age of 20 Years old, Asians at 25, and African Americans at 30 years old.
- Oxidative stress in the body may play a role when premature graying appears. Because due to oxidative stress, imbalances occur when there are not enough antioxidants available to eliminate free radicals that destroy cells and contribute to aging and disease. Oxidative stress may lead to the development of diseases such as Vitiligo that may cause hair to turn white due to the death of melanin cells or loss of cell function.
- Conditions may increase the appearance of premature graying, and it has been found in published research that there is a link between thyroid dysfunction and hair problems. An overactive or underactive thyroid gland can cause the body to produce too little melanin. Also, autoimmune diseases, in the case of alopecia areata and vitiligo attack the hair and cause melanin deficiency when the hair grows back.
- Younger people have an enzyme called catalase, which breaks down hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen, but levels of this enzyme are low, and with low levels of MSR enzymes A and B that repair hydrogen peroxide damage, this deficiency causes hair to turn gray With age progress.
- Excessive use of hair dyes and chemical hair products can lead to premature graying, due to the harmful ingredients they contain that reduce melanin. Some hair dyes contain hydrogen peroxide, which is one of the harmful ingredients.
How to prevent or slow down the appearance of gray hair by avoiding the causes
Preventing the appearance of white hair depends on the cause. If it is hereditary, there is no solution to prevent it from appearing or changing color permanently. If the problem is healthy, the secretion of melanin responsible for hair color may return to normal in the case of treating the main problem by following the following:
First: slowing down the onset of white hair with food and lifestyle
- Avoid stress, because stress puts pressure on the adrenal gland, and the gland begins to generate excessive amounts of hydrogen peroxide, which affects the natural hair color and begins to remove it.
- If the problem is with the thyroid gland, treatment with hormones is done, and thus hair repigmentation may occur.
- Vitamins and minerals, definitely help hair follicles to produce the melanin pigment that hair needs to retain its natural color. So you should get enough nutrients in the diet such as …
- Protein to obtain keratin is important for hair. Eating protein can allow the body to extract the amino acids and convert them into keratin.
- Get calcium from dairy products, as they are rich in calcium, and it can also be found in darker leaves, fortified cereals and fish.
- Eat enough meat, lentils and dark green leafy vegetables to obtain iron, because of its importance in forming hemoglobin in blood cells, which in turn is responsible for carrying oxygen to all cells of the body.
- Make sure to eat food that contains copper because of its importance for hair color and the best sources of it are mushrooms, because it contains an enzyme called tyrosinase that contains copper and makes the pigment melanin at a normal level, and we must eat the liver of all seafood, whole grains and avocados because they contain copper. Copper deficiency affects the production of energy in all parts of the body, which affects the blood and connective tissues, as it helps iron metabolism, and the formation of new blood cells, and plays in the production of melanin. Some sources of copper are peanuts, white mushrooms, crab meat, almonds, lentils and beef liver.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), an essential ingredient that helps the body produce energy and aids in the formation of red cells. Food rich in this vitamin are fish, livers and yogurt.
- Vitamin B6, important for metabolism and immunity, if this vitamin is deficient, symptoms of dry hair, chapped lips and fatigue appear. Sources include fish, chicken, potatoes, and non-acidic fruits.
- Vitamin B9, (Folic Acid) This vitamin aids the metabolism of amino acids, and is also important for metabolic and DNA functions. When this vitamin is deficient, some problems appear in hair, skin, and nail pigmentation. Beans, asparagus, green leafy vegetables, and citrus fruits include sources.
- If the appearance of white hair is due to a deficiency of vitamin B12, vitamin B12 injections or tablets are taken, and this leads to the improvement of the hair follicles and restore its natural color.
- Take probiotics that stimulate the microbiome in the gut and help to produce biotin, which stimulates hair follicles to produce melanin.
- Reducing hydrogen peroxide production with vitamin E.
- Eating Indian gooseberry fruits is one of the most important things recommended to deal with various hair problems, such as hair loss or thinning hair, and because of their abundant antioxidants and vitamin C, they are effective in controlling hair aging. Besides consuming the fruit, it is possible to eat the pulp or apply the essential oil directly to the hair.
- In addition to the previous one, there is a natural Indian recipe from ancient Indian medicine that has an amazing effect to get rid of white hair, by eating it, and not applying it to the hair because the real nutrition of the hair follicles is from inside the body and not from outside.
- A kilo of pure honey.
- A cup of flaxseed oil.
- 4 medium sized lemons.
- Four cloves of garlic.
- We start with squeezing the lemon juice, and placing its juice in a blender, with two and a half fruits with peeled.
- We put all the remaining ingredients in a blender, and mix well, until the ingredients are homogeneous.
- The mixture is placed in a glass container, and closed tightly.
- Take one tablespoon, three times a day, half an hour before each meal.
You should use a wooden spoon, not a metal spoon.
Second, some natural recipes that can slow down premature graying
- Massaging coconut oil on the scalp every night, and washing it the next day will help reduce graying.
- You can add curry leaves to coconut oil and heat it a little, then massage the scalp and wash it after an hour.
- Boil marigold leaves and use water extract on hair and scalp.
- Amaranth contains an enzyme that improves melanin levels and restores the natural color of hair.
- Amla, can be sliced, dried in the sun, ground and then mixed with coconut oil and applied to the hair regularly.
- Hibiscus flowers can delay premature graying of hair, in addition to removing hair impurities and increasing its growth rate.
- You can use black tea to rinse the hair because it is rich in antioxidants and caffeine that stimulate hair growth, strengthen it and add shine to it, as well as darken the hair.
The method, boil two tablespoons of black tea with a teaspoon of salt, then the liquid is filtered and used when it cools. In order to give the best results, use it two to three times a week.
- You can use almond oil and lemon juice by mixing two tablespoons of almond oil and three tablespoons of lemon juice, then put the mixture on the scalp and hair and leave it for 30 minutes, then wash it with a mild shampoo. Helps delay graying of hair, promotes hair growth, prevents split ends and adds luster to hair.
- Use onion juice, by mixing three teaspoons of onion juice with two teaspoons of lemon juice and put it on the scalp and hair, leave it for half an hour and then wash it with a mild shampoo. Repeat the process twice a week. Onion juice helps hair restore its natural color, and it also treats hair loss and split ends.
- The herbs of sage and rosemary naturally darken hair. Use to boil half a cup of sage and half a cup of rosemary, then leave to cool and filter, then use the solution to rinse the hair after washing it with shampoo, repeat at least once a week.
Note that these treatments must be continued for several weeks or several months in order to obtain noticeable results, in addition to making sure to eat healthy and nutritious foods.